Smith to replace Almirola at Charlotte

Regan Smith

"I think if Joey's auto would have been 3 feet more down the racetrack and I would have hit him in the door number, that would have been very violent, and I think Joey would have been seriously injured", he said.

Richard Petty Motorsports has put Regan Smith in its No. 43 vehicle for the NASCAR Monster Energy All-Star events this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway, but the team has not determined who will replace Almirola when the regular season resumes next week at Charlotte.

While Almirola will not be able to perform his driving duties, Regan Smith will pilot the No. 43 Ford Fusion this weekend in the Monster Energy Open at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

The wreck was a scary one that resonated across the NASCAR community, as even Dale Earnhardt Jr. commented on the incident in an interview Thursday.

"The next thing I knew, I was on oil or water or something because my auto wouldn't slow down, it wouldn't steer", Almirola said. I'm gonna listen to the doctors.

"I felt like from that point my vehicle was on railroad tracks and I was just headed straight for the wreck", Almirola said. "For the most part, I'm OK".

Almirola is up and walking, but he does have a crushed vertebrae in his back.

"That's why I dropped the window net so fast and took the steering wheel off", he said.

Almirola knew that the wreck was coming and braced for impact.

"So I just sat there and waited for the medical team to help get me out".

"Being out eight to 12 weeks and not have a chance at the playoffs - that stinks", Almirola added. I was in way too much pain.

"From the time I was eight years old, all I ever wanted to do was race", continued Almirola. "I want to thank the good Lord for looking out for me". He will provide an update on his injury and recovery plan on Friday morning at the speedway. "I've been in wrecks in the (Camping World) Truck Series, the XFINITY Series and the Cup series ... and that one Saturday was by far the most violent".

"It didn't slow down, it didn't turn, it didn't do anything", Almirola told NASCAR.com. "For all relative circumstances, I guess things worked out the best they could". If I would have got into the back of her and run into her fuel cell or something like that, it could have been a lot worse than it was. I can't really separate my shoulders and my hips.

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Leaders line up without May and Corbyn — ITV Debate
May 20, 2017 - 00:55
Both Farron and Lucas believe people should get the chance to vote in another European Union referendum. Nuttall may have confused her with former Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, who resigned past year .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Planned Parenthood to close QC clinic and 3 others
May 20, 2017 - 00:54
The coming closures will drop the number of New Mexico Planned Parenthood clinics from six to three by this September. Over 14,000 patients who trust PP with their care will no longer have access to their provider of choice.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top NHL's 20 greatest teams filled with Stanley Cup dynasties
May 20, 2017 - 00:53
The Nashville Predators forward, who scored the tying goal in Game 3, leads the team with six goals and has 11 points in 13 games. The Predators' home playoff winning streak is the longest in the National Hockey League since Detroit won 10 straight in 1997-98.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Bad sleep makes you ugly
May 20, 2017 - 00:52
But lead researcher Dr Tina Sundelin added: "I don't want to worry people or make them lose sleep over these findings". The Royal Society Open Science journal also found people viewed the more tired individuals as less attractive.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top LTA gives permission for Maria Sharapova to play in Birmingham
May 20, 2017 - 00:51
But Sharapova has now signed a two year deal with the Lawn Tennis Association to participate at Birmingham's Aegon Classic. Her ban was later reduced to 15-months following a successful appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Ford Enables CarPlay, Android Auto on 2016 Models
May 20, 2017 - 00:51
If you're feeling "with it" technologically, it's also available via Ford's first-ever Wi-Fi update. Android, Android Auto , Google Maps and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Rolf Harris to be freed from Stafford Prison on Friday
May 20, 2017 - 00:50
Judge Taylor granted Harris bail after it was sought by his barrister and unopposed by the prosecution. Harris, wearing a grey suit and dark tie, watched proceedings from Stafford Prison for the last time.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cannes 2017 red carpet: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan looks like a Disney princess
May 20, 2017 - 00:30
Abhishek Bachchan, the doting family man that he is, accompanied them to the airport to see off the mother-daughter duo. Meanwhile, "Neerja" actress Sonam Kapoor will be making her Cannes red carpet appearance on May 21-22.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Javier Valdez, Award-Winning Mexican Crime Journalist, Assassinated
May 18, 2017 - 00:12
On Monday, Javier Valdez Cardenas became the sixth journalist murdered in the country since the beginning of the year. Ricardo Sanchez Perez del Pozo, a lawyer with a background in global law and human rights, took over the post.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cyber attack targets two Dublin hospitals
May 18, 2017 - 00:09
HSE chief information officer, Richard Corbridge, said that disruption to patients was minimal as the outages were expected. The state's cyber security chiefs were also liaising with the Garda Cyber Crime Bureau and the Defence Forces.

48 percent of Americans support Trump's impeachment
May 18, 2017 - 00:08
The Senate needs a two-thirds majority, or 67 out of 100 votes, to find an official guilty and remove that person from office. Certain members of the House of Representatives would act as the prosecutors, and a Supreme Court justice would act as judge.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Google kicks off I/O with news of 2B Android devices
May 18, 2017 - 00:06
We're also anticipating the announcement of new features for the Google Assistant AI and in turn the Google Home smart speaker. Google's partners Audi and Volvo have already been mentioned, with new cars expected to come with Android Auto built in.

Cruz: Western Wall 'part of Israel' & Jerusalem Israel's capital
May 17, 2017 - 13:56
The President will meet with Palestinian President Abbas in Bethlehem and with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu in Jerusalem . Israel considers all of Jerusalem as its indivisible capital, a claim that is not recognized internationally.

China's Xi confident in the future of new 'Silk Road' effort
May 17, 2017 - 13:13
Graziano da Silva made the remarks at the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing . In contrast, Mr Xi said China's Belt and Road plan would be inclusive and open to all .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top HTC U 11 (aka Ocean) price, release details leaked
May 16, 2017 - 09:48
This might be the pre-order date instead of the actual sale date of the smartphone since it is just 3 days after the launch. From previous leaks we also know that there will be a 12 megapixel camera on the back and 16 megapixel on the front.